Monday, September 3, 2012

Swear-In, then Peace Out


Yesterday, September 2nd, I became an official PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer).  730 days to go.
With my Language Training Group and teacher
at our Peace Corps swearing-in ceremony.
For logistical reasons, immediately after the swearing-in ceremony in the province of Mpumalanga, I and four other volunteers who will live nearby, hopped on the Peace Corps van with all of our luggage to head to our new homes in the province of Kwa-Zulu Natal (KZN).  For the next two years I will be living in a very rural area (no electricity, no running water) where everyone speaks Zulu…and not a whole lot of English!  Time to see if all that studying really worked.  So far, the little that I have seen of the area is stunning – natural beauty is abundant in this part of the world.  Tonight I meet my new host family for the first time, and I begin the real adventure of being on my own in a new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment