Monday, July 30, 2012

2 Weeks In

I have arrived in SA and all is quite well. 

Language learning is slow - I am learning Zulu (Ngifunda isiZulu!)which I knew would be the case, but it is frustrating none the less. 

I am currently living with a wonderful family in a village near Siyabuswa.  I wake up around 5:30am so that I have time to get everything ready (including boiling water for bathing) and walking to either the local school or college where I have language classes.  This may sound difficult, but I am pretty much in bed by 8:30pm!  Not my normal schedule for the end of July/beginning of August.

I walk almost everywhere - on dirt roads - and p.s., having clean shoes is REALLY important, so I have learned to have a dust rag with me at all times ;-)  I am learning to cook - which for those of you that know me well is a HUGE challenge.  I had to ask how to hard boil an egg.  Sometimes my family cheats and uses a microwave (a luxury here), but I am okay with that.

Animals are everywhere - chickens, cows, goats, sheep, dogs, cats - they just wonder around the streets, your yard, etc, the same as squirrels back home.  It is awesome.

Sorry for the short post, but time is short :-)  I miss everyone very much and hope to touch base again soon!
Monica

3 comments:

  1. So great to hear from you and what you have been up to. Looking forward to hearing more!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are alive. South Africa has 1 gold medal in swimming at the Olympics so far. Thought you might like to know.
    Good luck with the new life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you are safe, sound, and have a nice host family! We miss you tons! Can't wait to hear about the adventures to come!
    xoxo
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete