Monday, September 24, 2012

Solar Panel Success


Living without electricity has definitely presented me with a new set of challenges.  For the most part, it did not take long to figure out how to make many of the adjustments.  Table lamps and overhead lights were replaced with the sun (when available) flashlights, candles, and oil lamps.  The electric stove and kettle were replaced with a gas tank complete with cooker top.  But charging my electronic devices – namely my computer – did not have quite the same quick fix.  Things like my cell phone and iPod don’t really need to be charged everyday.  I can take them to school once early in the week and once just before the weekend and they are good to go.  The computer, however, has a much more limited battery life, and it is the device I certainly use the most.  I was starting to get a little nervous about how I was going to make that adjustment.  But this past weekend, I read through the notes and advice given by the PCV here before me and I got a little help from my family, and there is now a pretty nice solar panel up and running outside my house.  The panel sits outside my front door and is connected to a 12V battery.  The battery is then connected to a 12V to 230V inverter that has several types of plugs as well as a built-in radio and light.  I use the inverter as if it was just a regular wall socket and can either charge or run things as normal.  So my excuses for keeping in touch are becoming ever more limited!

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear that this got sorted out! Yay for power :-)

    ReplyDelete