Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Very Busy Week


I recall that when I was teaching in America, the end of year always had a very busy feeling to it. Teachers and students alike tried to wrap things up amidst a traditional smorgasbord of extra assemblies and activities. Oddly, that seems to be happening here as well.

Our Books for Africa delivery!
First, on Tuesday, we took one of the last big steps to greatly enhance our school library. All the books that we have been raising money to receive finally made it here! The Books for Africa shipping container arrived in our shopping town of Nquthu after having been unloaded off the boat in Durban just the day before. The PCV that organized the fundraising and delivery of the shipment, Liz, was to meet the truck in town and then help the driver navigate his way to her village school for unloading.

The six PCVs in our area as well as dozens of school children from the primary and secondary schools in the village anxiously awaited the arrival of the truck at the primary school. We only had a few hours to unload just over five hundred and fifty rather heavy boxes into an empty classroom before the delivery service would start to charge extra! We really thought it was going to be impossible, but by some miracle, we finished in what had to be record time. Never
Our book moving brigade.
underestimate the power of a brigade. I may or may not have injured myself in the process, but I healed quickly, so it doesn’t really matter. Each volunteer involved is expecting to receive about 23 boxes containing 800-1000 books total for his or her library. We are all certainly looking forward to getting those books sorted and put on the shelves!





The Battlefield PCVs with over 550 boxes of books!


Parents are set in the tent for the ceremony.
Next up was the Grade R Graduation and Grade 7 Farewell function held on Thursday. It was almost too weird that this was my second time around in experiencing this occasion. At this point, I am an old pro at school functions and know exactly what to expect. I also know what I can busy myself with to make it look like I am doing my part without having to do my part in the kitchen. I really do hate cooking…as well as peeling, chopping, grating, stirring, slicing, mixing, and any of the other things that the women in the kitchen are doing. Pass. Instead I do things like print and copy the program, prepare plates of snacks, and walk around with my camera acting like there are lots of important things I need to photograph. They fall for it every time ;-)

The Grade R learners parade into the ceremony.
One of my favorite parts about last year’s farewell function, was that each grade had a group of boys and a group of girls that organized themselves to perform short cultural dances or songs in traditional dress. This year’s function had none of that, which I thought was a shame. The rest of the function went pretty much the same as the year before.  The students and parents assembled in their designated areas of the tent. Grade R came in wearing small graduation caps and gowns over fancy dresses or suits. Then Grade 7 paraded in wearing what I can only describe as outfits fit for prom and with hair to match. Most of the girls had gone to town the day before to have their hair done up in braids or other weaves. For many this was a first. The rest of the ceremony was full of somewhat inspiring speeches, fairly lively music, and a rather lengthy process to present certificates to the grade R learners. This was immediately followed by the typical function meal served to special guests, parents, and the learners in grade 7. As usual, the dirty dishes were piled up in the kitchen for clean-up the next day. Another Zulu function in the books.

Grade 7, ready for their farewell function.

What a week! I’ll be interested to see what else is in store as the school year wraps up.


1 comment:

  1. LOVE the Michigan shirt! And congrats on getting the books! Great work!

    ReplyDelete