Monday, November 26, 2012

I'm Thankful For...


In the last ten to fifteen years, I have not spent that many Thanksgivings with my family in Ohio. Every couple of years I did the drive home; otherwise, I celebrated with friends in New Jersey. This, however, was the first time in my life that I was out of the country for Turkey Day. It was also the first time in my life that I went to work! While I only stayed at school for half the day, it certainly made me appreciate people that regularly work on Thanksgiving year after year.

By mid-afternoon, I met up with four other volunteers in the area, headed to a nearby guesthouse, and for the first time, I helped to prepare a Thanksgiving dinner. Luckily, I got lots of recipes and suggestions from friends and family back in the USA, as even the most basic items I (or any of the others) had never cooked before last Thursday. We spent several hours in the kitchen stuffing the turkey, mashing potatoes, boiling corn, and preparing a host of additional side dishes and desserts that are found at a typical Thanksgiving feast. The food was great…well, the food was edible, but the real joy of the afternoon and evening was sharing a great time with the other volunteers and sharing our American traditions with some new South African friends.

During the day, I also had a chance to think about what I am most thankful for in my life right now…as most people do on Thanksgiving. My list is the same as most years, but this year it seems to mean a little more. I am certainly thankful to be here in South Africa serving with the Peace Corps. But I am also very thankful that all my friends and family back in the US are happy and healthy and able to keep in touch with me on a regular basis. It is strange to think that if all goes according to plan, at this time next year, I will still be here, perhaps even celebrating in a similar way.

No comments:

Post a Comment