Monday, November 12, 2012

Election Coverage


I know that the election has been over for almost a week now, but I think it is worth noting a few things from this side of the world. First off, I am so glad that I missed the ads. The constant stream of negative campaign ads, robo-calls, tweets, updates, etc, that I am sure were littering the airways day and night was never pleasant. Second, in my rural village (the one without electricity) nearly everyone was aware of the fact that November 6th was Election Day in the United States. I spent the day visiting people in the community, and I was astonished at the number of people that asked me about the election. Many asked how I was supposed to vote if I was here in South Africa. A few asked whom I would be voting for. One or two asked how I would find out who won. I explained that many, many months ago I started the process of applying for an overseas absentee ballot so I could exercise my right to vote and that I would use my phone to keep me updated on the status of the election.

The most incredible part, though, happened the next morning. When I woke up, I checked a few news websites to get the latest on the election. At that point, Obama had been declared the winner. When I got to school, almost every teacher asked my how I felt about Obama being re-elected. Good thing I checked! Despite the news being only hours, perhaps even minutes old, it had been announced via a few standard media outlets (TV but most especially radio) that Obama would serve another 4 years as president. Even with all of the technology that I had, I did not have any more knowledge on this particular subject than anyone that I worked with or lived near. I realized that when the news is deemed valuable or important, people will find a way to get the info, with or without all the latest and greatest gadgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment