Monday, October 29, 2012

Happy Halloween!


This has always been one of my favorite holidays; partly for the candy and partly for the decorations. I tried to explain the idea of dressing up and trick-or-treating to my host family here, but as I started to speak about it, I realized how silly it sounded. They said there was certainly nothing like it in South Africa. I miss carving pumpkins and apple pie, but I know that it will be there when I return in a couple of years.

I tried to do some online research on the origins of Halloween. While there are some commonalities in the explanations I found, overall, no one seems to be sure. Maybe next year when I am teaching, I will try to find a few more details and have a little Halloween party with my learners. I’m sure I can find some ways to incorporate maths!

No comments:

Post a Comment