Monday, October 15, 2012

Baby Animals


As I did not grow up on a farm or in any proximity to animals besides dogs, cats, and squirrels, I am simply not used to seeing the variety of baby animals that currently live around me. And I have to say that they are really cute. Just about a week or so ago, one of my family’s cows returned from being ‘lost,’ and right beside her was a brand new calf. I could not believe how taken I was with this little cow. I mean, it’s a cow, not a golden retriever. But it is a beautiful brown color with a white mark on its forehead and legs so thin I can’t believe it can really stand on them. I don’t know how long it will take to grow out of this ‘cute’ phase, so I’m enjoying it while it lasts. The baby animal that I truly love the most, though, is a baby goat. In general, I have absolutely no interest in goats. As my South African mama always says, “Goats are chaotic.” Apparently my family used to have goats, but over time they either died or were slaughtered and the family was not interested in replacing them. Turns out they can be difficult to manage and you are responsible for damages they cause to any fields and crops that they destroy! But lots of other families have small herds of goats, and mixed among them are always one or two little ones. It sounds ridiculous, but they are just adorable. Whenever they sneak into the yard, a few baby goats always play just outside my front door, as it is usually shady in the afternoon. Since the goats are not really welcome in the yard (they are notorious for finding their way into the garden and eating the vegetables), my visitors are never there too long. But while they are around, it is fun to see them dancing and jumping. Perhaps when I return, I will see about getting a new type of pet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment