Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year 2014!


It is a bit hard for me to believe that the whole of 2013 is gone and I was on the continent of Africa for every second of it. What an incredible year. I’m not one for new year’s resolutions, because frankly, I have never had much success with them. Instead, I will just be thankful that all has gone so well thus far, and that I will be returning home to the US sometime later this year.

 After being away for Christmas, I was fortunate enough to spend these past few days at home in my village to experience part of the “festive season” and to ring in the new year with my host family and neighbors.

One of the twenty-three groups competing for top prize.
One of the events that I missed last year, because I was traveling, is an annual Zulu dance competition that happens on the 30th of December. Groups of men from all around the area gathered in the village, just down the road in an open field actually, to compete for a cow (the first place prize) and various cash amounts (for second, third, and fourth places). There were twenty-three groups in all performing routines that were original in nature, but required to have various components of the traditional Zulu warrior dances. Matching costumes and accessories, such as shields and flags, were a must have for the serious competitors. I think that things were supposed to get started around 9am, but they didn’t get going until closer to 11am. The crowds grew as the day
The Judge
progressed, with nearly everyone bringing an umbrella to protect themselves from the blazing hot sun. Local village women and bottle shop owners set up tents or opened the back of their pick-up trucks as make-shift concessions stands selling beer, cold drink (soda), and various snacks. When the final results were announced around 3:30pm, people were excited to cheer on the winners but eager to get home after a long day. Those that did not finish in the top four will have to wait until next year to try again. I won’t be here to see it, but I am sure it will be equally entertaining for those that attend.

Looks like rain? No. Using umbrellas for shade.

This group came in first place.

One of the concession stands available to viewers.

As for New Year’s Eve, it was much the same as last year. A nearby family had a late night party (music supplied by the stereo of a minibus taxi) with a small fireworks show at midnight. Things wrapped up around 1:00am, as most people would be getting up early this morning to cook a special meal to be eaten after attending church for most of the day. Rather than cooking, I spent the day cleaning and getting ready to travel down to the Wild Coast for the remainder of the holiday before school begins again on the 13th of January. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it will be the perfect way to end the summer break. Either way, I’m looking forward to the start of school the new adventures that are sure to come with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment