Monday, June 17, 2013

Reflections on Term 2


The term official ends this coming Friday, June 20, but as I am gone from site and at a training this week, for me, the term actually ended last Friday, June 13th. This means the school year is half over! This is both crazy and scary because I feel like I have just gotten started, and that I have a lot more to do. In the mean time, it is good to remind myself that a few good (and not-so-good) things happened this past term and progress is being made…slowly but surely.


School Highlights:
1.) The School Store: In an effort to raise money to buy more library books, I started a little school store to sell pens and pencils. The profit margin is small (just a rand an item), but since the kids seem to lose their writing utensils on a daily basis, I sell almost 50 writing utensils a week. By the end of the third term, we will hopefully reach our goal of R2000.

2.) Managing the Computer Lab: Most weekday mornings, I arrive at school by 7:15am and open the computer lab for students to come in until assembly begins at 7:45am. But there are mornings when the electricity isn’t working, or I have work to do, or there is a staff meeting…meaning, there are mornings when the computer lab just can’t be open. But the learners did not seem to understand that when the door was closed the lab was closed. They would stand and wait and block the path, thinking that eventually I would open the door, and many of them wanted to be first in line. Apparently this was very annoying to many of the teachers and the principal. So, I finally put up a sign on the door that either says “closed” or “open” so there is no confusion. Although this seems like a basic thing, it has made a big difference in keeping everyone informed and organized…and happy.

3.) Studying = Winning: About a month before the end of the term, I received a pack of multiplication flashcards from my family in America. After giving it a little thought, I decided to have races between the rows each Friday morning at the start of class, using the cards. This isn’t exactly an original idea, but these learners have never seen it. I choose two rows to race against each other, than the other two rows have their turn, and then the whole class makes two lines for the last round. The winner of each round receives a certificate that says “Mathematics Achievement Award” and I write in their name and the date, as well as my signature and the principal’s signature. It was clear from the first week of this competition that the learners were keen to win.

On Thursday of last week, I reminded everyone that it was their last chance to get a certificate for term two and that they should study the times table for the races the next day. Everyone dutifully nodded. I just smiled. The next morning, a boy named Kwanele came to me before school and told me that he studied a lot the night before. I was pleasantly surprised that any student would take the time to come and say this, and whether it was true or not was almost irrelevant. I told him I was very proud of him and I’m sure that he would do well that day, but really, I didn’t think that would be the case.

Well, he WON! That’s right, he won the race between his row and another row. I was ecstatic. I went on and on for a few minutes telling the class how important it is to study because in the end it will help you win. I could not have wished for a better way to end the term. I am hoping that we can pick back up where we left off when we return for term three.


Community Highlights:
1.) Gardening: I had a great time this term learning some new gardening techniques and implementing them at my house. Outside of school, this is definitely my main project. In the past three months I successfully started a seedbed of cabbage seedlings, I double-dug a door-sized trench bed, and then planted the cabbage seedlings in said bed. My goal for term three is to start another seedbed and then companion plant something with the cabbage. Long-term, I hope to spread the permagardening technique to members more members of the community through weekend promote nutrition and healthy eating through this process. I’ll keep everyone posted.

2.) Birthday: I was “lucky” enough to turn 36 at the end of April and celebrate in style with both PCVs and my host family. On Friday afterschool, I met up with the other volunteers who live in the area and we taxied back to my site for a birthday sleepover. This has sort of become the norm for everyone’s birthday, but it was fun to be the hostess. I didn’t do much on Saturday during the day, but that evening, my family invited me to have dinner with them and then surprised me with a cake! I would say that over the years I have had some spectacular birthdays, and this ranks right up there with the best of them.

3.) Extended Family Reunion: One of my favorite things about being here is experiencing the Zulu culture first hand, especially at village events. It was a true treat that just a few weekends ago my host family had a type of “reunion” function where they honored the ancestors. It was a huge gathering of people who lived both near and far and the food and drink did not disappoint. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the men parade through the yard in their traditional attire, addressing the ancestors and telling stories of the mighty battles that they won (or at least fought in.) Ceremonies such as this one will continue to be a true highlight of my service.


Lessons Learned:
1.) No Scissors Allowed: I was really trying to give grade 5 an authentic learning experience when we studied 3-D objects the second week of May. I decided I would have cut out nets of prisms and pyramids and then fold them into the appropriate 3-D figure. All I needed were a few pairs of scissors and some tape for the kids to get crafty.

I could have sworn that at some point I saw a box of kid-sized scissors in the storage room, but either my mind was deceiving me or they just got moved, because I searched for about 30 minutes the week before and I could not find these scissors anywhere. All that I was able to come up with was a bag of 10 adult scissors from the Arts & Culture teacher. Kids that are in grade 5 really do have hands that are smaller than adults, and using these bigger scissors to cut a bunch of fairly small shapes turned out to be a bit of a challenge for many of them. But they were managing to get things done. As they were finishing up and I was putting them back in the bag, I essentially noticed that there was blood all over one of the pairs. Of course, I was furious. I asked the class “Why is there blood on these scissors?” and within seconds they were tattling on each other, telling me that Phelelani cut Cebani’s finger with the scissors. Great. The cut was not insignificant so it needed to be washed and bandaged. The rest of the day was spent “investigating” the incident to see who should be punished and how. So yeah, we don’t cut things anymore in grade 5. We fold and tear very carefully along the fold. Lesson learned the hard way.


2.) Don’t Get Off the Taxi: When you have to travel a long distance and ride on a minibus taxi, it is a bit of a guessing game as to when it is going to leave. Because it doesn’t leave until it is full. In early June I needed to take a trip to Pretoria, which meant I had to first take the taxi to Johannesburg. No big deal, done it before. I got there earlier than needed and was the third person to sign-in and take my seat. After waiting for a while and the taxi still being only half full, I asked the woman next to me to watch my things while I ran over to Shoprite to buy some rolls and water. Again, no big deal, everyone does this. When I got back, just 15 minutes later, the taxi door was closed and the taxi was pulling away…without me in it. Now, as is usually the case, when the taxi is full it first just pulls away to a parking spot a couple meters away so that everyone can pay and the driver can give part of the proceeds to the taxi rank manager and whatever other business needs to happen. So I wasn’t too worried. When I walked up to the taxi, I opened the door, got in, took my bag off of the seat and sat down. To my surprise, the rank manager jumped in after me and started shouting (in Zulu) that I needed to get off the taxi because it was full. I was like, yeah, I know it is full, because I am one of the people making it full, so I just sat there. Partly because I didn’t think I needed to get off, and partly because there was no way I was getting off and waiting to take the next one. Then he started to shout a few things that I didn’t understand and started to wave the sign-in book at me. Well, as luck would have it, I was the third person to have signed-in AND I used my real name as opposed to my Zulu name. As a side note, sometimes I use my Zulu name because it is simply less obvious that it is me and if some weird-o starts to talk to me I can just ignore him or her a little more easily because they can’t just look at the book and see who I am. In any case, it was crystal clear that I was perfectly entitled to be on the taxi…to everyone but the taxi rank manager. At this point, the woman I was sitting next to as well as several other strangers all started to shout in Zulu. I was pretty much lost in the conversation at that point, but after about sixty seconds of nonsense that guy shouted at me to sit down (which I was already doing) and then got off the taxi in a huff. We drove away a few minutes later. I was a bit rattled because I don’t enjoy being part of a scene; I already stand out enough, thank you. But I also had no idea what the problem was, so I couldn’t really think about it too much. Bottom line: from now on, I’ll just stay seated.

3.) Always Wear Layers and Bring an Umbrella: This sums it all up as far as how I need to dress and prepare for each day. It seems like every morning I wake up pretty chilly but by the afternoon I’m toasty warm. It is impossible to predict whether or not it is going to rain, because it shouldn’t be raining at this point in the year, but that doesn’t mean it won’t! I now own four umbrellas. Two are at home, one is at school, and one is always in my backpack. Also, all of them are garbage and are partially broken or could easily break at any moment. But no matter, I have learned to wear several layers in the morning for easy adjustment as the temperature changes throughout the day and to be ready for the rain at any moment.

Looking forward to the highlights and lessons that Term 3 has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment