Monday, April 29, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me


Finally found out what it feels like to celebrate my birthday outside of the United States. Not all that different or exciting actually, but I was thankful to have friends around.

My 36th birthday was this past Saturday and while there wasn’t really much to celebrate, there were plenty of people that were happy to join the party. At first I really didn’t tell anyone. No particular reason why, I just didn’t. But eventually people started to figure it out. My host family knew because apparently I told them long ago when I first arrived (I don’t remember), and they wrote it down. The other volunteers in the area eventually just looked up my birthday in our contact book when I refused to tell them. And the teachers and learners made the discovery through a combination of hearing it from my host family and the administrative clerk at my school. My admin clerk had a very large celebration/function at her home on Saturday, and she, as well as several other teachers, invited me to come and told me how important it was. I really didn’t want to seem rude and just say “no, ” so I finally told her the reason I was not able to come was because both of my host sisters would be coming home to visit for the day for my birthday. She said that it was, of course, no problem, and then immediately told everyone else what was going on.

36th Birthday "Party" with 3 other SA PCVs.

Despite being extremely low-key, it was the perfect way to celebrate. I met up with a few other volunteers after school on Friday in our shopping town, and we bought some snacks and party favors and then headed to my house for the night. After everyone left on Saturday afternoon, I had a chance to take a walk around the village since it was a beautiful day to get out and take pictures.

One of the many stunning views I see around my village.

During my short excursion, a number of learners who live near me gave me “birthday cards” that they made at home. They were really cute, and the materials they used to make them were priceless. One of the cards actually had the words “Happy Mother’s Day” written on the inside.

Birthday cards!

During the late afternoon I got a phone call from my parents in America wishing me a “Happy Birthday.” And later that evening, I spent a couple of hours with my host family playing Uno and eating cake while we chatted about birthday traditions in America and South Africa – for the most part, they are the same.

Birthday Party with my host family. Cake included!

If the same exact thing happened next year, I certainly wouldn’t complain. It will probably be here before I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment